Welcome to my little corner of bloggy land. Here you will find a glimpse into our everyday lives as we are truly happy in the service of the King!

20 April, 2011

Memories of Grandpa

Abby and Grandpa

Yesterday my Grandpa went to Heaven. Do you know what a relief it is to say that? For as long as I can remember, we prayed for my Grandpa to be saved. About three years ago he was saved. Praise God his suffering and pain are over!

I want to share with you one of my favourite memories of Grandpa. When I was about 10 years old I got sick and had to stay home from school. My Mom and Grandma had already made plans to go somewhere, so Grandpa got to baby sit me. I got to spend the afternoon with Grandpa by myself. That didn't happen very often since I had 5 other siblings. I don't remember much from that day except he kept bringing me food. He kept finding more and more snacks for me to eat. He even let me have one of his special ice cream sandwiches! Any time we would go to Grandpa and Grandma's house he would make sure we had plenty to eat.

Grandpa loved fishing and every summer we would spend hours out on the lake fishing with him. He loved to use nightcrawlers and cane fishing poles.

He also loved the woods and would take us for 4-wheeler rides or walks through the acres and acres of property they owned.

In the winter we would go for rides on the snowmobiles. Grandpa had a collection of old snowmobiles that he kept fixed up for us to ride on.

Grandpa liked to fix things (or putter around as Grandma would say!) and there were always bikes for us to ride when we went to their house. I'll always remember his old barn full of projects he was working on.

This past February we got to spend some time with Grandpa while we were in the States. He got to meet Abby for the very first time. The second time we went to see him Abby (who doesn't like to sit still at all) sat in his lap and just "talked" to him for about 20 minutes. He looked so happy holding her.

Grandpa is gone and I'll miss him, but I'm so glad I have wonderful memories of him. I love you, Grandpa!

No comments: